Sunday, October 31, 2010

Pakenham artist finds beauty in Bali women



31 Oct 10 @ 07:14am by Lisa Edgerton
Pakenham artist Elina Simbolon is staging an exhibition at Libran Dogma Gallery next month.JANE OLLERENSHAW. N18BL407

ARTIST Elina Simbolon is bringing a touch of Indonesian beauty to Narre Warren North.

The Pakenham mother, 38, will exhibit her oil paintings, many inspired by the beauty and strength of Balinese women, at the Libran Dogma Gallery from November 7.

Although she has considered Australia home since moving here in 2004, her works reveal a lot about her life, especially her memories of her birth country.

“Most of my paintings reflect the woman figure in some way,” Simbolon said.

“I love painting Balinese women because of their inner strength and I find a lot of beauty in the woman figure.

“Many of my friends and family believe I paint the woman figure because I can see myself in her.”

Simbolon’s love of art stemmed from watching her sister, now an illustrator, sketch pictures of women.

“When I was little I used to always look at my sister’s drawings and I was in absolute awe of them,” she said.

“But in Indonesia there weren’t any possibilities for artists so I stopped doing art until I moved here. I felt like I found myself again and I love this country and the amazing opportunities it gives us.”

Celebrating her first solo exhibition, Simbolon will be showcasing 15 of her paintings at the Libran Dogma Gallery & Studio, 62 A’Beckett Rd, Narre Warren North, on Fridays and Sundays from 11am to 4pm or by appointment.

Her exhibition opening will be on Sunday, November 7, at 3pm.

http://pakenham-cardinia-leader.whereilive.com.au/lifestyle/story/pakenham-artist-finds-beauty-in-bali-women/

No comments:

Post a Comment